When I was thinking about going in to labor with this baby I thought it would be like my labor with Marcus. I don't know why I was so naive. This labor was completely the opposite. It all started on Saturday the 22nd, I was of course trying to get as much done as I could and my back was hurting. However this time it was not going away with the heating pad. I wondered if I was having back labor, but I wasn't sure if I was just imagining it because I didn't have back labor with Marcus. I was waiting to see if I would start spotting like I did with Marcus and then just know I am in labor with my contractions slowly getting closer and closer. Eventually the back pain went away so i thought I had just overdone it. Sunday the 23rd I woke up having braxton hicks contractions and feeling very uncomfortable. I had just gotten the nursery all put together and felt good about having this baby. However we were planning on her coming on the 26th or 27th so i took it easy all day and only went to Sacrament Meeting at church. I came home to also put Marcus down for his nap and I laid down also. As I was sitting in church I noticed I was having some contractions that seemed a little stronger than the ones I was having the previous couple of weeks. I again thought it was just in my head, and I wanted this baby to wait until after Christmas to come. When I got home and laid down I slowly realized that my contractions were starting to hurt more and more, and I didn't know if they were consistent. I downloaded a contraction app on my phone to keep track of them. They were never consistent but were slowly getting more and more painful. Dave came home from church and came downstairs and I didn't want to tell him I was going in to labor so I gently told him I was having some minor contractions and might be going in to labor. He didn't react rashly but just said "ok, let me call my mom to have her come over". I was so happy that he wasn't upset that this baby was coming early. As I laid there I texted my sisters and told them I was most likely going into labor. My sister Valerie called me and asked me a few questions and then told me to go to the hospital. I told her I didn't want to get there and have them send me home. As I was talking to her I realized the contractions were now taking my breath away and I remember my doctor saying I needed to go to the hospital if I was having contractions that took my breath away. I went upstairs and called the hospital and they said it was up to me if I wanted to come in. I told Dave we should probably go in to just see. I didn't have my bag packed, that's what I was going to do on Monday :). We packed my bag and as we were packing I burst into tears as I realized I would be in the hospital on Christmas and that this was ruining our holiday. Marcus saw me crying and immediately burst into tears also, so we were crying together with Dave trying to calm both of us. Poor Marcus had no idea what was going on as we were rushing around. Dave's mom and dad showed up around 6 pm and by this time the contractions were really painful. Dave and his dad gave me a wonderful blessing that had us all in tears and calmed me down. We got in the car and made the 5 minute drive down to Jordan Valley Hospital, we arrived about 6:30. Once there and changed the nurse checked me to see how far I was progressed. I told her last week I was a 3 and that I hoped she didn't send me home. After she checked me she said I was going to have a baby very soon and that I was at a 7! I was shocked! I only got to a 4 with Marcus before I had my epidural. No wonder I was in so much pain. I told her to get the anesthesiologist in ASAP! This was about about 7:15 and my epidural was given by the same guy that gave me my first epidural with Marcus. I realized that I was having deja vu with Marcus's delivery and the time. We checked into the hospital at 6:30 pm with Marcus on the 23rd, just like this time, we were in the exact same room as Marcus was delivered (after a room request by Dave to the nurse). After the epidural I was happy as a clam. When Dave went to go get my bags from the car he stopped the doctor and bribed him with $20 to deliver the baby on the 24th so it would be the same day of the month as Marcus was born. I told Dave I didn't want the baby to have a Christmas Eve birthday and then found out the doctor said to dave that there was no way this baby was waiting 3 hours until midnight. The doctor came in about 8:15 to check my progress and also break my water. I say "the doctor" because my doctor was on vacation for the Christmas holiday, again just like Marcus's delivery. There are two times out of the year my doctor goes on vacation - the 24th of July and Christmas. Both times that I have delivered during those times. So ironically it was the same on-call doctor, Dr. Epstein, that delivered Marcus that was also going to deliver this baby. I was great with it because he is such a friendly doctor and did a great job with Marcus's delivery. After he broke my water he told me the baby would come within the hour. Up until now I was in a daze because of how fast everything was going. I remember the nurse telling me when I was pushing with Marcus after an hour and a half that with my second it wouldn't be this long and I didn't believe her at the time. I was now believing her but was in such shock. Dave put on a movie "Tangled" and I tried to remain calm and just soak in the moments before this baby girl came. My epidural was stronger this time, but I didn't mind because I was so comfortable. I had a great nurse, Becky, that was also pregnant and due in a week. She came in and checked me and said I was at a 10 and that it was time to push. Again i was shocked and couldn't believe what was happening. This was 9:15 pm when the doctor came in and said "let's have a baby". I asked the nurse for a mirror, since I loved seeing Marcus born with the mirror. The doctor coached me on how to push because I told him I couldn't feel my legs to push. After the first push he said I was doing great and that she would be here in two more pushes. I didn't believe him but I could see her head and that she had hair. After 2 more pushes I looked at the doctor as he pulled her head out and then the rest of her body and she was here at 9:28 p.m. As they laid her on my chest I couldn't believe I was holding her and that she was here so fast. I immediately fell in love with her beautiful face and how perfect she looked. You wonder how you can love someone so fast that you have never met, but it's instant love. We took some time to decide on a name, over night and into the next day. The two choices were Hazel and Lucy and after we thought about it and looked at her we both agreed that Lucy was a perfect fit. And that's how Lucy Ada Kelly was brought into this world. We are completely smitten by her!
Dr. Epstein
Our awesome nurse Becky
2 comments:
Congrats. She is lovely
Congrats! She is beautiful and I am glad the delivery went well!
Post a Comment