I decided to start potty training Marcus the end of June. I had been to a potty training class through the program Marcus received speech therapy through. I studied the method they recommended and did all the pre-potty training stuff and felt that Marcus was ready. My number one motivator was that I needed him trained before the beginning of September because he is attending two pre-schools. The schools don't require that he be trained but I didn't know when I would have time after he started school. We started on a Monday. This particular Monday i was not feeling well and had very bad allergies. These allergies eventually turned into a sinus infection and looking back now I should have waited to start training like Dave recommended. I was so antsy to start and see how he would do. Well the method (basically using training pants and making him go every 10 minutes) didn't work. After the week was over we kind of continued but I was so exhausted from being sick and cleaning up so many messes. The week after was the 4th of July and it was hard to be consistent. After the 4th of July we tried one more week but it wasn't working. I was about ready to give up when a friend suggested I use the "3 day potty training" method. I hadn't heard of it and looked it up online. I was hooked after I read about it and decided to try it. I asked my wonderful mother to come help me look after Lucy so I could focus on Marcus 100% for 3 days. So Monday July 15th we started the 3-day potty training method.
The method works best when used first, I knew this going in. He was getting it after the second day but still having a lot of accidents. The first day was absolutely exhausting! I had anxiety just watching and waiting for him to go pee. He wasn't completely potty trained by the end of day 3 but he was starting to get the idea. Night time was a whole different story. He wasn't getting it at all at night time. This method goes cold turkey with underwear, no pull-ups.
I'm happy to report that he is now potty trained during the day - October 20th. He still has occasional accidents and is not potty trained at night but he has never had an accident at school which is amazing! I learned a lot from this - mainly to not wait so long to potty train and to start with the 3-day potty training method first! We are not sure what to do about the night time but we are happy it is over.
The method works best when used first, I knew this going in. He was getting it after the second day but still having a lot of accidents. The first day was absolutely exhausting! I had anxiety just watching and waiting for him to go pee. He wasn't completely potty trained by the end of day 3 but he was starting to get the idea. Night time was a whole different story. He wasn't getting it at all at night time. This method goes cold turkey with underwear, no pull-ups.
I'm happy to report that he is now potty trained during the day - October 20th. He still has occasional accidents and is not potty trained at night but he has never had an accident at school which is amazing! I learned a lot from this - mainly to not wait so long to potty train and to start with the 3-day potty training method first! We are not sure what to do about the night time but we are happy it is over.








1 comment:
Yay Marcus!! I don't know if you've tried any of her methods in the book about night training, but we tried two of them and did them consistently for about one month and it worked like magic. Luke hasn't wet the bed once in the last 5 weeks or so. I'll fb you what we did! :)
Post a Comment