Friday, March 23, 2012

Mission blessings

My parents are serving their third mission. That's right, 3RD!!! Many people ask me how my family handles them gone on missions. My response is "I wouldn't have it any other way" "They love to serve missions!". Many people also ask how they can serve so many and be away from family. My response is "why deny them the happiness and blessings my parents receive from serving". The blessings from family members serving missions are something that you can't calculate. It's very hard to have them gone but the happiness I see in their faces when they serve cannot make me even think of having them home. Here is a picture that shows one of the many blessings of my parents serving a mission.


Elder Holland visited my parents mission a few weeks ago and they had some amazing experiences with him. This picture makes me smile every time I see it. I printed it off and we have it on our fridge. I love that my dad has his hand on my mom's back and that Elder Holland is literally hugging my dad and yet so intent on listening to him, you can see him looking right at my dad. Elder Holland visited their mission for a week and they had so many great experiences!

Here is a few snippets from my moms journal about the week they were able to spend with all of the General Authorities that visited their mission.

"Scott and I parked at the top also and Scott got out to help everyone know where to go.  At the top of the hill Elder Holland put his arm around Scott’s waist and held on while they both walked down the hill and to the door of the mission home.  It was a wise move, because the hill is steep and there are small rocks on the road, which could be very slippery.  Elder Holland expressed appreciation to Scott and put his hand up on his cheek gently.  It was a very sweet and special moment."

 "We were helping Elder Holland and Elder Snow with the password for the mission internet, so they could check their Blackberries.  We had a very comfortable visit with them for about 15 minutes.  They asked about our background and it came out that we had served two previous missions.  Elder Holland said, “Well, that sacrifice has assured you your salvation.  Do you remember the story of the young men who carried the handcart pioneers across the Sweetwater River?  Well I think that story has application here.”  I was overwhelmed with gratitude for such a sweet validation of our desire to serve missions as well as the service of all of the senior missionaries around the world.  I will remember and cherish it always.  Elder Snow said, “What an example you are setting for your grandchildren.”  I told them that our oldest grandson was almost 14 and that the rest of our grandchildren were still quite young, but it was such a special moment, that I will not forget. "


"What a beautiful, inspiring day!  Tears came to my eyes as I saw those beautiful African women dressed in their very best, singing “As Sisters in Zion.”  The thought that came to me was how grateful I was to have been called to Sierra Leone and how grateful I was to my children for allowing me to have this wonderful experience by supporting us on our mission.  As I hugged each of those African women, I told them how much I loved them and how blessed I felt.  I hugged each of the sisters who spoke to us and they each were gracious in gratitude.  Sister Holland thanked me for being here every day to teach the sisters.   Words cannot describe what a spiritually uplifting day it has been."

"From Sister Holland's talk: Elder Holland is even more wonderful at home than you see him here.  One night I was having a hard time sleeping.  He was sleeping soundly.  I turned to him and said, “I don’t know what to do.  I just can’t seem to get to sleep.”  Even though he was sleeping soundly, he raised up on his elbow and said, “If you’ll fast and pray about it, I know you’ll be able to sleep.”

 
"From Elder Holland's talk: I bless all of you that you will have your children forever.  I would join this Church just for the promise of having my wife and my children with me forever.  It would not be heaven without Sister Holland.  Nothing can separate you from each other and from your children.
I bless the sick and those who are mourning and lost someone.  I bless you with an understanding of the gospel.  We will all die to live again."





4 comments:

Wynter said...

Wow, that's amazing! I hope someday I can follow your parent's example!

T Fowler said...

HOw did you get that picture to load? I tried to upload it to my blog about 5 times and finally gave up. Maybe I'll try again.

Grandmakicki said...

I enjoyed reading your Mom's comments. What a great experience for your parents and for you and your family.

Gayle J. Randall said...

Thank you, Michelle, for this and for your support! It means more than you will ever know!