Saturday, February 27, 2010

A new kitchen!!

So Dave and I have been working diligently with every spare moment to get our house to point that everything has a place and we can use all the room we are paying for monthly through our mortgage payment. When we moved in we were not expecting to fix a lot of things, including tearing out our entire kitchen so soon. As you can see the cupboards are old but we were ok with them. Then my parents offered us new cabinets through a credit they were going to lose with a business associate. So we jumped at the chance to have free cabinets. Well this meant a lot of work for us to get our kitchen ready to put in cabinets. I am so lucky to have a husband that knows how to fix stuff and do demolition. If he doesn't know how to do it then he finds out. He saved us a lot of money on doing things we would have had to pay someone to do. Here are some pictures of the demolition, before and after. (My favorite is the oven :) I had never seen one that color before)




Tearing out the soffit above the cabinets, what a mess, it was packed with rock wool



The happiest moment for me was to take off that ugly wallpaper of the fruit, I vow to never put up any wallpaper in any house

We had to close off some valves because originally the washer and dryer went up there in the left corner, where there was a pantry/closet. Then we had to mud and Dave put in new omelets

This is everything we tore out of the bathroom and kitchen. It was a lot of work but it now looks amazing.


Toby enjoys the new kitchen, especially the new rug we bought for the kitchen


Here is the new kitchen with all of our new appliances. The best appliance we bought was a dishwasher!! The house did not have one so we put one in and now we get to spend more time doing things we want to do instead of the dishes every night!!



This is my favorite part of the kitchen. I wanted a desk area where we could put mail and sort of the "catch all" area. It's so nice to have one of those in your kitchen. As you can tell from the wall we still need to paint and are going to put in a tile backsplash. However, we were working on the downstairs when the cabinet guy said the cabinets were done so we had to put the basement on hold to put the kitchen in and decided we wanted a place to watch TV in our family room instead of bedroom. So we are putting the rest of the kitchen on hold so we can get the downstairs liveable.
So there is what we have been up to. A BIG THANK YOU to my parents for their generosity in the cabinets. We can't thank you enough. It seriously is like a brand new house to have new cabinets in our kitchen. Plus it opened up the kitchen so much more to move the refrigerator and take our the pantry. It's still not our dream kitchen but for this house, it's amazing. Currently we are painting the downstairs and will post pictures when we are done :) Oh the joys of owning our own home!! Dave and I are enjoying doing the work together and get excited about picking out paint and then seeing it all painted when we are done.

13 comments:

Aimee said...

Wow! It looks amazing.

I get a little jealous of handy husbands. My guy has his own strengths of demolition is not one of them. What a fun project to do together.

T Fowler said...

WOW! It looks amazing!

Kaye said...

Nothing brightens up a house more than a new kitchen. Congrats. You did a great job, and I too envy the handy husband. When Gary says he wants to try and "fix" something of mine -- blender, blow-dryer, microwave -- I decide if I want a new one or not. If I want a new one, I let him try and fix it because the end result is always a totally demolished appliance. If I want to keep the old one, I have to hire someone. He tries, oh, how he tries, but it's not his strength.

Tiare and James said...

I'm so happy for you guys! It looks great!

Megs said...

WOW! What a great kitchen. And what a talented man to get so much done on his own, or with a little help.

Gayle J. Randall said...

You are BOTH such hard workers and Dave truly is handy. It really helps that he enjoys it and has really learned a lot from his dad. The kitchen looks WONDERFUL! A big "YOU'RE WELCOME." We love to be part of anything that makes that big of a difference in the lives of someone we love! It was "win-win" situation for all of us. Enjoy!

Scotty and Michelle said...

That looks like a completely different house!! I love the kitchen and the cabinets, now I just need to see them in person...like on a Sunday...for dinner...since my husband hasn't seen your house even...hint, hint... :)

Unknown said...

Cory does a good job on the cabinets and the crown molding, something new like this really changes things. Glad he got it in for you-it looks so much better. It really helps to get things in the right places. Will look forward to seeing it up close in 4 months. LOVE DAD

Todd & Chelsea said...

Looks awesome. Saw this on etsy and thought of all my friends having boys...check it out
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?ref=mt&listing_id=41826661

cwilson said...

Very nice! You guys are go-getters!!

Ben and Ash said...

Looks great you guys!

Ilene said...

I would be glad to take down that wallpaper too! Nice job. The cabinets are beautiful. It looks so much more up-to-date and better. Way to do it yourselves!

Ilene said...

Congrats on your pregnancy! Yeah!!! I love your kitchen too. It looks so much better--the wallpaper really was the worst part of the before picture.