Saturday, April 24, 2010

Hop along Toby

Last Saturday was not a relaxing one for Dave and I. Many of you know our cute dog Toby. Dave considers Toby one of our children. :) So when we were giving him a bath and cut one of his nails too short, it was very traumatic. It started bleeding and Dave quickly looked up on-line how to stop it from bleeding. In case you want to know, you put the foot and nail in flour or cornstarch to clot the bleeding. So we did this and tried to keep him contained in the bathroom where we were bathing him. Dave had to go to a baptism in our ward because he is the a ward missionary. That left me with Toby. I sat there with him for a while and finally thought it had stopped. I wrapped it as best as I could and let him go outside to go to the bathroom. Well he started running around and the bandage came off. I thought it had stopped bleeding until a few minutes later I looked outside and there were bloody footprints on the cement. I couldn't wrap his foot again by myself because he just wanted to run around so I called Dave and he came over real quickly to help me contain Toby to wrap the foot and then get him in his kennel. I had him sit in his kennel for about an hour before I let him out again. In the meantime I was cleaning up the bloody paw prints off the cement in our backyard, yuck!! I let him out after an hour and the exact same thing happened except this time the bloody paw prints were all over the kitchen instead of the backyard, luckily I had found out he was bleeding and got him contained in the kitchen before he went all over the carpet. By this time I was so frustrated and tired and mind you 6 months pregnant. I couldn't get Toby to sit still so i could wrap his foot again and blood is everywhere inside his kennel. I have cornstarch all over my kitchen and all over me. So to make a long story longer I called Dave who was done with the baptism and told him we had to take him to the vet because his toenail would not stop bleeding and I was worried he was losing too much blood. Toby did not seem to be fazed at all by what was going on and didn't wimper or lick his foot. So we called our vet but they had already closed for the day so we had to take him to the Banfield vet at Petsmart: aka EXPENSIVE. But we didn't have a choice. They cleaned out the nail, he cried and yelped and I had to leave the area because I was already on the verge of tears because of the long day and we were missing going to see "How to train your dragon" with my sister's family and my brother. Toby got all bandaged up and had to wear this cute little wrap for a few days while his nail healed. He looks sad in all of these pictures but remember he always looks sad :) He didn't like it but they wrapped it so well that he couldn't get it off, he just kind of hobbled along. He is doing great now and we are glad that it didn't get infected. Dave said as we came home "What's going to happen when our kid gets a paper cut?" :)



This is after a day of running around on it, it's all dirty



Here he is outside with an added bandage we put on because the other one was wearing down. He was such a brave doggy!!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad to see Toby doing better, plus spring should be fun for him. We look forward to some long walks with him in a couple of months.
Elder Randall

Gayle J. Randall said...

Sounds like a very traumatic day! I'm so disappointed that you didn't get to spend the day with family! (Except Toby, of course!) All's well that ends well and you learned some things about cutting dogs toenails. (I always let Dad do it for Bottsy) Have a quick recovery, Toby!

T Fowler said...

Poor Toby! I hope he is feeling better. Sorry you missed the movie; we'll do it again soon.

Scotty and Michelle said...

So sad for Toby! I hope he is doing better now!

Grandmakicki said...

Poor Toby, and poor Michelle. It all ways seems that the mom's have to take of the bloody things in life. But you sound like you did a great job and were under control.