Monday, September 8, 2008

A tribute


Some might think this might be a weird post but I am posting more for myself than for anybody else. I wanted to tell people a little bit about my Uncle Allan Price. Not many people are that close to their uncles, however my Uncle Allan was like the grandpa I never had. My dad's dad died when he was 18 so I never got to know him. My grandmother on my dad's side was an amazing woman who lived as a widow for more than half of her life. She lived to be 99 years old and was such an amazing woman. So as I grew up visiting my aunt's and uncle's I became very close to my Uncle Allan. This past Wednesday he passed away. Today was his unbelievable funeral. That is why i am posting about this amazing man. I hope everyone is as lucky as I was to know someone like my Uncle Allan. He knew exactly how to make you feel special. When you would talk to him he would look you in the eye and listen so carefully to what you said. He would listen to anybody and any problem you had. That's hard to find in this busy world. He loved to share the gospel with anybody. He was a man of integrity and faith that radiated when you were around him. You always wanted to be the best around Uncle Allan. He was also very patriotic. He served in the Air Force and knew what it meant to "fight for our country".

His funeral was one of a kind and one that I will never forget. The talks were so inspiring that I walked away thinking "what really matters in life?" Knowing someone who did so much service and never really thought about himself makes you think about your life and what you are doing day to day. At the grave side we were able to witness patriotism at it's best. Members of the national guard were there to walk the casket and then fold the flag on top. I was absolutely mesmerized watching how precise they were with everything. I was balling just because of how beautiful it was to watch these men and the respect they had for this man who they didn't even know. After they had finished folding the flag the leader then inspected it and walked over and handed it to my aunt. (I was a mess by this time). During this entire experience there is a bagpiper playing "amazing grace" in the background. Following the flag folding they did the 3 gun salute. It was an amazing experience and one that I will never forget. I love you Uncle Allan.

6 comments:

Kaye said...

I met your Uncle Allan a few times. He was an amazing man. His funeral sounds very special, and I'm glad you could feel the spirit while you were there. I loved your description of the flag ceremony and the piper. I really want a piper at the cemetary to pipe me home as well. The really great thing is that this beloved uncle will be in your family forever!

Scotty and Michelle said...

What a great tribute. I got all teary eyed when I was reading it. It made me rethink some of my priorities.

Ilene said...

That's a nice post, and it sounds like the graveside service was beautiful. I just read about your parents' mission call. Wow! How wonderful they get to serve in Kenya! I've never heard of anyone going there that I know. I'm sure they'll have eye-opening experiences there. Congrats to them.

Ford Fam said...

Good post! It was amazing, something I will never forget!

Gayle J. Randall said...

Loved your description of the funeral and the graveside service, Michelle. I felt the same way after the funeral. I wanted to be a better person and be more patriotic and be a better missionary all at the same time. Isn't that the great thing about loving wonderful people! There is so much to learn from them. Alan was one of my heroes in many ways.
Love,
Mom

T Fowler said...

It was a wonderful day. Uncle Alan was an incredible man who was probably one of the most Christ-like people I will ever know. Let's make sure that Aunt Cleone is doing okay during these next few months. We will let you know when we are going up to visit her.